PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Altimeter setting procedures
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 00:27
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again about altimeters...

To Sir BOAC
xxx
At no time did I imply, to reset altimeters in a manner or form contrary to SOPs applicable to any given airline. Obviously, if I would takeoff, I would preset the QNE, if departing a sea level airfield, to maintain FL 040 with a transition altitude published to be 3000 ft QNH... as we would be very unlikely to be restricted during the initial climb clearance.
xxx
My recommendation simply illustrates what I was trained to do in altimeter management ever since my intial IR training, long ago in the past century, which apparently has been acceptable to the numerous airlines and operators for which I have held a pilot position.
xxx
A procedure, defined by SOP, or a technique, are two different things. And in any case, my first concern is flight safety and observance of precise altitude/level profiles as published and/or required by ATC.
xxx
If your airline so requires, I assume your said SOP, must probably specify which fingers shall be used for rotating (is it clockwise or counterclockwise?) the altimeter setting knob with finger nš 1 and nš 3 (?) similar to sheet music used by piano students practicing Clementi Sonatinas...? Or, is it acceptable to use fingers nš 1 and nš 4, with the pinky held up, in the classy vertical position, as per social standing applicable at the 10 Downing Street, when sipping a cup of tea...?
xxx
As to be allowed to operate at your airline, and the "many others" you mention, I do not think that 411A, nor myself would consider the honor. You might hold, Sir, more aircraft type ratings, or have flight experience of more hours than I have logged, but I have probably flown, by far, with many more different air carriers or operators than you, and many others, at times maybe several during a calendar year, depending on contracts.
xxx
Having worked with many different operations, has given me quite an insight in comparing and criticizing the merits and caveats of their individual SOPs, reason why I have occupied numerous TRE, TRI and flight standards positions.
xxx
Yours respectfully,

Happy contrails