PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Range Choice - advise sought!
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 23:12
fullyspooled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, thanks for the info thus far received.

G500/550 - I wasn't aware of the braking problem, but if it's being attended to on new aircraft in build this is a comfort factor as it is likely to be ta toss up between this and the 7X:. I haven't actually seen the cabin of the 500/550, so wonder if the competition claim that it is a "narrow tube" is true or not.

7X - yes, great field performance but smaller cabin.,although does offer the three engine comfort factor, and (incredibly) a lower total fuel burn on long legs if I am not mistaken. Has to be a serious contender for our proposed (few pax) missions of typically 5,000 miles, and suited to the 150 mile hops that we also often have a need for.

Global - bigger cabin than required (for two pax on long range flights), and perhaps too large an airplane for the sometimes very short (30 min) hops that are needed. Fuel burn to push such a big airplane through the sky is heavy compared with competition. Concerns pointed out seem to be in line with what I had heard.

BBJ - see above re TOO BIG for two pax, although on some flights the idea of losing them somewhere in the airplane does sound appealing!

What does intrigue me however is the current market. I can order a "position" on a 550 for circa $53M plus options and wait two years, but if I want a USED model now at two to three years old they are asking $60M+!!! What kind of market is that? I'm also wondering just why it is that the G500 seems not to be available in the "positions" market. If it was, I would be tempted to choose it as first choice!