PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 22:29
xkoote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have trouble getting too much info about the intricacies of the MD-82 thrust reverser. But what I do know is that there is no electrical or mechanical command of any kind to bring it to idle if a reverser unlocks.
What I can see is that the buckets are held in place by overcenter linkages. That by itself makes it pretty difficult for them to inadvertently deploy. When the reverser levers are moved to the idle revers detent, 3000 psi actuators move the links overcenter and deploy the reversers.

What I can't see from our manuals is:

1. Can the reverser lever be pulled to the reverse detent with the throttles above idle?

2. Is there an isolation valve which prevents hydraulic pressure to the actuators when in airborne mode?

Xander

Another thing that I find very important. If the MD80 touched down with it's tail first. There MUST be heavy scrapes in the dirt where the MD came down if the reverser was deployed. When the reversers are deployed, they will hit the ground before the tail does. So for me it all reverts back to the no slat takeoff scenario.