PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 22:14
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShyTorque

You are not getting this.

“BUT you operate in exactly the same band of airspace as VFR low level military turbo-props (Tucanos) flying at 240 kts”

I get it, Tucanos, big, scary, dangerous, but they do not fly on Saturdays, so we can forget them and 99% of the rest of the RAF. If we were to consider them then we stay above 2500 feet, which I do anyway if I can, 3000 - 7000 ft is my preferred band.

“Police helicopters operating from the hover up to 140 kts anywhere in Class G”

How many in the whole of the UK? Not much of a risk is it compared with the 100 + locally based non-transponder machines around my area.

“such as the one I operate, flying to and from similar fields, small strips and back gardens, in worse weather conditions than you are allowed.”

So I will be on the ground tinkering and not bumping into you.

The chances of me having a mid air are quite small. Most of this threat is low level on take off and landing from my strip. I have modified my procedures to increase my lookout and I will invest in kit which will help this problem, but it MUST detect the majority, which is 80% not transponder equipped (in my case) and likely to remain so.

Outside of this the threat is not sufficient to worry, beyond continuing to improve my lookout. My mode C will remain switched on and I will keep adjusting the accuracy as required (remember it is an uncertified installation), but will I spend a years maintenance on a second hand unit if it fails, probably not. Would I support FLARM for everybody, yes, it is the only currently available tec, which can be fitted to the aircraft that are a threat to me.

A comment was made that the majority of powered aircraft have transponders. If we are talking aircraft which are fitted with a single piston engine, then this is not the case. The BMAA and LAA fleets alone equal the c of a SEP fleet and is growing fast, SEP c of a numbers are falling.

Rod1