PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 20:17
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 452 Likes on 240 Posts
Robin 400, I take it that you reported your Oulton Park Airprox because you should have if you believe the safety of your flight was compromised. That's what the system is for, not to allocate blame but to educate and hopefully increase future awareness.

It's an area I very seldom operate in and I have never done an airday at Oulton Park, and never landed there. If you read the context of my posts, my concerns are mainly about gliders flying in cloud - but you were presumably VFR / VMC in the VFR corridor, or close to it ?

I concur with B73, FLARM wouldn't alert you to the presence of helicopters but a TCAS equipped helicopter might have seen your transponder, which is a very good reason to use it with Mode C at all times, in accordance with CAA guidelines on the matter.

Rod1,

I fly an LAA aircraft into strips and small licensed airfields (all over the UK plus some of Europe). The chances of me colliding with an airliner are billions to one (I stay clear of ILS’s etc). The fractions of 1% of the traffic I am likely to hit that have ACAS are probably flying IFR. Likelihood of collision billions to one.
Rod, I agree that your chances of hitting an airliner is very small (so's mine, I also have TAS and Mode S transponder to assist lookout) BUT you operate in exactly the same band of airspace as VFR low level military turbo-props (Tucanos) flying at 240 kts, Police helicopters operating from the hover up to 140 kts anywhere in Class G and 160 kt corporate helicopters, such as the one I operate, flying to and from similar fields, small strips and back gardens, in worse weather conditions than you are allowed. From your comments above, I think you must be unaware that the great majority of the first two categories of aircraft I specifically mentioned, if not all of them, also have TCAS or TAS fitted and an increasingly large proportion of corporate twin helis have it fitted as standard from the factory.

Please do keep your transponder and mode C on if fitted, it most definitely helps keep all of us mutually safe in Class G. If I get an aircraft return on TCAS, it is most often well in advance of the human visual range (sometimes up to 25nms in ideal conditions) and I will do what I can to avoid you, often doing so without you even having been aware of my presence.

mmflyn,

In the case of the recent Coventry accident, from the details already in the public domain, I think it is more likely that aircraft did NOT have a radar service at the time of the collision, but we'll have to read the AAIB report.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 30th Aug 2008 at 20:33.