PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlights on approach
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 20:13
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK,
I will take the bait.
Apart from being scum of the earth, what was it that the microlights were doing wrong?
They were not on a collision course with you, since your instructor decided you could continue.
They may - or may not - have spotted you, and that was why they were not on a collision course with you.
They may have been on a en route frequency - such as the microlight version - so they could spot traffic in Class G and let each other know. Four pairs of eys better than one.
The tower spotted the traffic before your instructor did.
So - perhaps a better lookout by your instructor might help?
As for Coventry. It was a mid-air. Didn't involve a microlight. And is the subject of an AAIB investigation.
Very best,
XA
ps was flying in a group of aircraft - all open cockpit - from Perth to Strathaven last winter. Were were on an en route frequency and I was the only one with a matchstick sewn into a glove finger so I could work the other radio frequencies.
So I called Glasgow to say we were flying clear of their Class D and then that I was changing back to en route.
Glasgow wondered why only me talking and why I went back to en route? I replied, any idea how cold it is out here and that no-one else wants to take gloves off in this to talk to you! And I had to talk to the other aircraft.
The point was taken by ATC, as confirmed in a later club visit to the tower.
So they knew where we were, knew who we were and what we were doing. They just couldn't contact us.
Of course, we could have just not even called them at all.
So who knows what was happening here, or why.
Perhaps, like the US, we should have fewer towers and more Unicom frequencies where pilots just get on with it.