PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Pensions (Split from Pay 2009 thread)
Old 30th Aug 2008, 15:21
DotMac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too, am with Emma on this one... I personally would be out on the picket line with everyone else, but the issue of "do you cross the line, or not" is a matter of an individual's conscience.

Yes, in order to succeed on this issue, we will need to show a level of unity that I've never seen in NATS for the last 18 years that I have been employed by them, but all of this "scab" nonsense is beyond me.

It reminds me of the Miners strike. Have we really not come forward in 20 years?

Anyone who DOES cross a picket line will be under an awful lot of pressure from their peers and from others (work related and non-work related), and will do so for their own reasons. They may well have personal reasons (and not just big mortgages or debts) for doing so that neither I, nor anyone else has a right to know about.

I'm not saying that anyone who crosses the line should be supported by those out on strike, but neither should they be bullied nor harassed. Indeed, the union should stand up for ANYONE being treated in this way, and I'm sure NATS management would too.

Personal attacks and bullying other members of staff would hardly ease relations during any such strike action, in fact it would probably cause a breakdown of the unity of those out on strike. I for one, and I'm sure there are MANY others, would support strike action to save our pensions, but WOULD NOT support ANYONE who bullied or attacked someone in this way.

You could easily find yourself accused of gross misconduct and be sacked without any support from the union, nor ANY pension rights.