PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 6
Thread: MANCHESTER - 6
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 13:17
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P.S. MAN isn't in 'Mcr.'
Manchester Airport straddles the boundaries of at least 3 areas, part is within the city of Manchester, part the borough of Trafford and part the county of Cheshire last i remember

The whole of the Manchester Airport site lies within (or should that be stops within) the City of Manchester, except the bit of 05R/23L to the west of the Bollin River which is in Macclesfield Borough, Cheshire. The Trafford Boundary stays North and West of the M56 and always has.

The old South Side Hangars and some of the airfield used to be in Cheshire as the County Boundary ran through the middle of the airfield - however that was changed - I think in the 1980s? - and the boundary amended to follow the security fence so the whole airfield was in Manchester.

When R2 opened, with the Cheshire/Manchester boundary running along the Bollin Valley to the west, some of the airport territory was once again in Cheshire.

I wonder if there are any current moves afoot to once again align the Manchester Boundary along the security fence so the Airport land is once again wholly within the control of Manchester City Council?

Suzeman