PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Green Card Pilot
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 09:15
FlyTCI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, here's my situation. I got my green card at the beginning of this year. Since the job market in the US went kaputt I have not yet found a job in the US and have stayed with my European employer. I'm on a five weeks on five weeks (usually becomes a bit more on than off ) schedule. Being away that much is a strain on both me and my wife and next year I am planning on cutting down on my trips and hence spending more time in the US. However, if I do my last trip that I am scheduled for this year it will only give me about 160 days in the US for 2008. Should I cancel this trip to be on the safe side, or should I be ok since I will be spending more time in the country in 2009?

Obviously I am aware that every time I leave and enter the US it's registered, but considering that the right hand often doesn't know what the government's left hand is doing (experienced through the green card application process), do they actually check these records when it's time for renewal of the green card?

Is there any difference for renewing the green card vs. applying for citizenship as far as the presence requirement?

A friend of a friend is an immigration lawyer and I will check with her, but I thought I get some of your opinions as well.

Thanks,

FT