PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin launches to Newman and Karratha
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 04:47
barrybeebone

Virgin the cherry pickers

Virgins foray into intra WA is a good fit for the Embraers but i was surprised they chose newman and Karatha first. I would have thought the markets of Albany, Esperence, Broome etc are more lucrative but as someone said in earleir posts, these markets may have competition restrictions, if so then clearly skywest?QF are giving commission on their monopolistic routes to WA govt

I read the VB interest in PNG and I also saw their interest in starting Perth- Sth Africa flights. My guess is the cherry picking will continue of Qantas monopolies/duopoloies.

If you think about it QF has virtual monopolies/duopolies on most routes outside of Asia. QF also operate most of their international flights out of Sydney. VB will continue to cherry pick and I guess some will succeed and some will fail. I reckon they have more chance of succeeding if they focus on international outbound from airports other than Sydney.

Bali is booming at the moment with Australian visitor numbers almost back at pre bali Bomb 1 levels. If VB or one of their subsidiaries do establish flights on these routes then the timing will be interesting when you consider that Bali Bombers are about to be executed....will the terrorists strike again in Bali?