PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too late at 27?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 01:10
AKAFresh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In short NO WAY!

Iv heard and seen much older people go through flight training. The one thing I found they had a tendency to pick things up abit slower but this did not mean they could not complete the exercise or subject. They just needed some extra time/teaching to grasp it.

Please don't think the same goes for you, I am just stating a general observation I made when I was flight training. There were guys who where 18 years old who also suffered from the same thing, it can happen to all of us but generally it was the older guys. They all made it in the end!

How you manage will entirely depend on your own academic/flying background and commitment. The days when age mattered are all long gone since the new laws against age discrimination, well at least in the UK that is, not sure in other countries.

As far as jobs and airline recruitment there are many airlines out there that prefer to take on pilots who are older (and I mean older in the sense 27 and above range, which btw is NOT old but you know what I mean lol).

They prefer to have a mix of pilots with a varied age group, my own airline certainly favours the older pilot. They tend to stay loyal and are mature both of which are good if you want them to be captains. Oh and they tend to have more life experience... plus side to that:- more to talk about in the cruise!

I wish you all the best, Good Luck!

Aka.