PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 00:47
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green-dot;

Xander posted that comment at #1280 - I haven't flown the MD80 series, just the DC9-10 and 30 series. I don't want to answer for him but I think the following comments you made are correct:
What you are explaining is that on the MD82, in case of a TR unlocked/deployed during take off, the affected thrust lever will not retard to idle, will not disengage auto-throttle (if applicable) and there is no alert inhibit above 80kt upto 1000ft AGL? In other words if i understand you correctly, the thrust lever will remain in the position as commanded and there is no alert inhibit any time during any of the take off phases?
I agree with these statements and I think xander's comments are correct.

The MD80 fleet-type is not a FADEC-equipped engine installation. FADEC controls the reverse deployment on the 320/340 fleet types, (CFM56 installation) and has the capability to reduce the engine to IDLE if it senses an unlocked reverser. The drill is necessarily then, a memory item which must be done "crisply"...to use a term, as full-reverse is a serious control issue...Xander's comments are correct here. On some types, a reverse-deployment, especially on a go-around from the runway after reverse has been selected, there is an AOM warning that "safe flight is not possible" after such deployment.

The FADEC system doesn't retract the reverser (if fully deployed) but the N1 is reduced to idle thrust, reducing the serious control issues involved in such a deployment. On the 320 at takeoff it is quite controllable with ample rudder; the drill is the standard engine shutdown drill done, for the 320, above 1500ft as all emergency/abnormal drills are done, (I say this because many types start drills and checklists at/above 400').

I can't answer the question about sunlight interfering with warning/caution lights etc - but in this case it was a northerly takeoff. That said, I haven't seen any situation where lights can't be seen in bright light but the damn screens on the 320 & 340/330 fleet types are sometimes too dim to see.