PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 23:57
Green-dot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted by P2J,

Somone asked regarding the reduction of thrust to idle if a reverser inadvertently deploys. This is not so on an MD, hence it is a memory item checklist. It is performed by heart. All you wil see is the yellow (and blue) reverser inter(lock) lights staring you in the face. Probably accompanied with some pretty nasty yawing and banking.
I am not sure about which question and by whom you refer to, but if it is mine (ref. post # 1228, P62), I will repeat it here:

"On the MD82, with ATS engaged and TOGA or FLEX selected, in the event of a reverser unlock during takeoff, is the thrust lever automatically retarded to idle by the reverser mechanical interlock system and the ATS disconnected? If such an event occurred after passing 80kt or during rotation would an alert be inhibited until an altitude of 1000ft?"

What you are explaining is that on the MD82, in case of a TR unlocked/deployed during take off, the affected thrust lever will not retard to idle, will not disengage auto-throttle (if applicable) and there is no alert inhibit above 80kt upto 1000ft AGL? In other words if i understand you correctly, the thrust lever will remain in the position as commanded and there is no alert inhibit any time during any of the take off phases?

If that is the case, could glare on a sunny day have made the yellow/blue lights to be overlooked by the crew? You did not mention an aural alert. Is there no aural alert on the MD82 accompanied by a master caution light under such conditions?

As I mentioned before, the aircraft type i worked on (no MD8x models) alerts (aural and visual on the MFDU/master caution light) will only be presented during takeoff below 80kt and above 1000ft AGL. Between those 2 parameters, alerts are inhibited.

Regards,
Green-dot