PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 19:21
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Seven. There are other important items on my Beech besides flaps. Two critical ones are which fuel tank you are on for take-off (there must be a minimum of 8 gal. in the tank for take-off or go-around to avoid unporting the tank), and the boost pump. The manual does not recommend the use flaps for takeoff on my beast, but a post touch-and-go takeoff with full flaps still deployed will certainly bite (though not as bad as in a C150).

I will admit to being distracted and forgetting the boost pump. It's that sort of thing I want to improve on by a last minute go/no go check as one lines up, and that check is the most essential bit of info that I have learned in reading this thread; I had always stuck to the checklist, and the "last check for the wife and kids" idea never occurrred to me, sad to say. I've got around 600 hours which is IMHO the dangerous "complacency" zone.

Last week I was flying with my buddy to another field 20 min. away for fuel, with low but legal fuel reserves. One tank was just around 12 gal, the other below 8 gal (total capacity is 58 gal). I asked my friend what his procedure would be for a low-fuel takeoff and arrival. I had to walk him through it: takeoff on the fuller tank, climb to 1500, switch to the low tank for the short cruise, and leave the fuller tank available for a go-around at destination. He was just going to fly along on the fullest tank until destination. I'm trying to get him to work on procedure more (his stick-and-rudder flying is fine), and to think analytically and ahead of the airplane.

Anyway back to our regularly scheduled speculating.