PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 29th Aug 2008, 18:03
ChrisLKKB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4567
What airlines would you say are close to collapsing next?
Things don't sound too good for Alitalia at the moment.... http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/3...tcy-fears.html

Imho WWW is right about oil, it's not the be all and end all of the problems, as higher interest rates and a higher cost of living takes effect with low or no pay rises (or bonuses) people will slowly stop traveling as much and now the UK isn't the cash cow for migrants it once was we'll be seeing less of them traveling to and fro. These are all facts that are regularly reported on.

The down turn is not going to happen over night, not everyone will feel the pinch straight away, indeed Ryan Air is still recruiting to meet current demand but at some point in the near future the drop in passenger numbers and the increase of pilot numbers will have to coincide and even Ryan Air will have to throttle back on recruitment.

btw regarding the title of the article I posted early 'the death of aviation', although I believe it makes some very valid points I don't think this is the end, oil prices will stabalise and we'll learn to live with them and once this economic down turn passes, as soon as people start making money again they forget all about their carbon footprints and green morals and celebrate with a couple of weeks in the Costa Del Sunshine or by some weekend shopping trips to New York. That's a couple of years away though (maybe more I don't know) imo and that's the time people should be aiming to finish their training by and hopefully benefit from an up turn in the aviation industry.

Last edited by ChrisLKKB; 29th Aug 2008 at 18:15.