PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 11:24
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>How can you say a glider is not suitably equipped to fly in cloud without a Xpdr? What regulatory requirement is there for you to say "it is not suitably equipped"?<

NigelOnDraft

Excuse my ignorance here but there are regulations for VFR and IFR flight. The VFR are to keep clear of clouds with a vertical and horizontal seperation as published.

Do you fly quadrantle rules in cloud?

Are your gliders equipt as regulated for IFR flight? I thought you had a very basic instrument panel?

The UK has an IMC rating which is not acknowleged outside of the UK which does allow you to fly in cloud. Do glider pilots hold valid UK IMC ratings otherwise there appears to be some serious rule breaking by glider pilots or stupidity by the CAA and double standards.

I hold an instrument rating but I am sure if I had no instrument rating or IMC rating and was caught cloud flying in IMC the CAA would soon jump on me.
I fly business jets and twin props. The business jets are equipt with TCAS.
At least I stand a chance of seeing you if you are transponding.

What you are saying is "I am a glider pilot so I have my own rules. If you hit me so be it I should be able to do what I want".

I am not saying that Gliders should not be able to fly in clouds but the pilots should at least have the basic level of instrument flying and the minimum level of equiptment that we have to carry to minimise risk no matter how small you see that risk.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 29th Aug 2008 at 11:42.