PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 11:03
TomBola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Israeli envoy declares Rivers safe just before Israeli Kidnapped

At a reception in Rivers State Government House last Tuesday evening the Israeli envoy made the following speech:

Rivers is safe - Israeli envoy
Bolaji Ogundele, Port Harcourt - 28.08.2008

THE security situation in Rivers State is not as terrifying as being reported in the media, the Israeli Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Moshe Ram, has said after a two-day stay in the state.

He commended the state governor, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, for his focus on improving the economy of the state, saying Israel was interested in partnering with the state on development.

Ram, who was hosted to a dinner at the Government House, Port Harcourt, on Tuesday, likened the security situation in Israel to that of Rivers, saying anyone who relied on media report in judging places could get confused.

He said there was peace in the state, but added that security was one area where the state and his country could collaborate.

“I think Rivers State is taking good care of itself. Just like I said at the dinner, the picture that is being painted in the newspapers about what is happening here is different from what I have experienced in the two days I have been here.

“Of course, there is a possibility of exchanging of views and sharing ideas and since we have someone who is in the security business in our mission, he will make contacts and see how we can help on security network,” he said.

He said his team had talks with the state government and the private sector on areas of business where collaboration could be forged, adding that the visit was a preliminary move on the way forward.
It was on his way home from that dinner that Israeli businessman Ehud Avni was kidnapped

Now MEND say they know the whereabouts of Mr Avni but have withdrawn a previous offer to help free him until Israel National News (Arutz Sheva) rescinds its description of MEND as a terrorist group and offer an apology in the next publication. MEND say, "If the founding fathers of Israel were not described as terrorists when they fought to liberate their people and bring hope and a future from the concentration camps, then we take very strong objections to that description for fighting to emancipate the Niger Delta from five decades of injustice and neglect".

Whatever the truth behind all this may be, I hope Mr Avni is released unharmed soon.