PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 29th Aug 2008, 09:24
ChrisLKKB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Surely, nobody could have predicted this one?!?
Everyone who didn't have their heads stuck in the sand predicted this one, this current cycle of growth was like a house of cards, it did well to last as long as it did imo.

I've no doubt the government knew well in advance it was going to happen, I'm sure it was a factor in Blair handing over the reigns when he did. Governments don't talk about recessions though if they can avoid it, maybe through denial but more likely because they can talk the country into recession by scaremongering.

Air travel is one thing that is going to be hit hard by a recession particularly with high oil prices. With less money around and often non existent pay rises, luxuries like holidays abroad and air travel in general are going to take a hit. This time round though (according to R2),with people now viewing holidays not as a luxury but as a necessity, this suggests to me that the airlines are going to suffer a slow protracted down turn so the signs may not be immediately obvious.

As with everything though, these things are cyclical, I realise that we are living in the era of I want it now, I will have it now but on mass it's the people who are patient and bide their time and time qualifying to coincide with the start of the next up turn who will be best off. Know one is saying it's all over and recruiting is going to dry up all together but wouldn't you be rather competeing in a market where there are a few hundred jobs rather than a few dozen?