PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 08:53
Arkroyal
Just a numbered other

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Being the 'village pilot' I dread any incident like this one. You know, next time in the pub all and sundry come up to ask your expert opinion.

In the case of Spanair, and the like, they get 'I don't have sufficient information to give an informed reply, let's wait for the AAIB report' (or equivalent for the pedants).

In this case I asked what did they expect:

Most wanted the crew to brief them immediately on what to do.I explained that they are busy saving their own skins first, and in the case of the pilots then going into a well practised routine to ensure the safety of the aircraft and all in it. The most they would get is a PA announcing an emergency descent, followed,once the aircraft was safely established in breathable air, an explanation of the event, and subsequent intentions.

All agreed that that was reasonable, but they were worried that the masks didn't work, and/or the bags didn't inflate. What about the kids etc.

I pointed out that these points are covered in the pre-flight emergencies demo.

Many blank faces, and some 'I don't bother with that, it's boring /rather read the paper/ snog me bird / scratch me ar*e / any other activity'

'I rest my case' said I. Maybe they'll listen next time.

But I doubt it.