PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 06:41
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>I am baffled by all this insistent talk of No IMC flying without a transponder, (although by all means use one if you have the money and inclination.)
99% of GA flying outside CAS is VMC, and there have been no recorded powered midairs in IMC since world war two, virtually all encounters occurring in VMC at low level. Many IMC and IR rated pilots make a specific point of flying IMC as much as possible, since statistically it is the safest place to be. Efforts should be concentrated in the low level VMC environment, not the high(er) level IMC environment<

FlybyMike

I have to say that I am amazed that gliders or any other aircraft should be allowed to fly in cloud without a transponder.

You quote that there has not been a collision. I do not know whether that is factual or not.

A lot of this thread is based on see and be seen, the mark one eyeball.
How can that possibly work in cloud?

We are not just talking about the potential for a collision with a twin or sophisticated single but also the potentail for hitting an airliner carrying 300 people.

Remember that not all airports have a block of controlled airspace around them. Humberside and Inverness are examples of two where 737s and A320s operate out of.

The chance of a radar controller missing a glider flying in cloud and not transponding must be high.
In that situation there is no question of see and be seen MADNESS.

It will only take another major disaster for the CAA to see sense and stop this ludicrous practice. NO TRANSPONDER NO IMC !

Pace