PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Mid-air collision at Moorabbin
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 06:37
BPH63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sincere condolences to the family of the student killed and the students and instructors of the RVAC.
It was not long after starting my training last year that my admiration for flight instructors and their faith in their students sky-rocketed (especially after my first solo). Now I have my PPL my admiration is unabated. General aviation is inherently more dangerous than driving a car (statistically on par with riding a motorbike). But we all know that proper maintenance and good training minimises those risks. From my limited experience the standards in this country are high. Most of the danger rests with our own neglect.
There is no point bagging the public and journos. The former are ignorant of flying matters and the latter need to make a living. In my other professional life I learnt long ago putting up walls helps no one. You have to deal with reality in a positive way. Aviation needs to sell itself better.
Do aero clubs/flight schools invite local residents and groups (like those led by Tom Uren - I assume he is not the Sydney Tom Uren) to airfields for familiarisation re flying and training and how everyone in aviation - ATC/pilots/mechanics/regulators - makes safety the number one priority? As long as the public are ignorant the media has a fertile market.
Excuse me if this is already done but something ain't working!