PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 00:26
Capt. Inop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ended a fast reading of the NW255 report, and I have some conclusions.

They lifted off the aircraft because were taking off from a 8500´ runway, and there wasnt much distance remaining. They forced the pitch up to get airborne.

If there was not a light pole, probably they didnt crash, because the plane was gaining altitude and decreasing their AOA very slowly. The report states that they only needed 11 degress of pitch up to stop the stick shaker.

Lateral inestability also appeared, they needed to overcome a dificult roll and gain control, and almost they did it.

In Barajas, there was plenty of take off distance available. Also probably ground effect. If we are talking about a no Slat/Flaps scenario, the chances of a succesfull take off in this kind of runway with this weather are high. Only the crew could worsened their odds keeping a high pitch angle, while ignoring the loss of speed and the warnings.

The NTSB estimated that an MD82 with the NW255 weight needed 11300 feet from the brake release point to reach 41 feet. In the runway 36L of Barajas you have 14272´of distance available.
You also need to take the human factor in to account.

This crew already had an aborted takeoff due to tech problems.

Everything might have appeared normal until leaving ground-effect.
The DC9/MD80 can be a handful to handle getting on the slow side for the flap setting.

Makes me think that when the pilots did identify the problem (no flaps or slats) it was too late to do something about it and recover.