PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF buys spy planes to monitor enemies from the sky
Old 28th Aug 2008, 20:11
TheInquisitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you in the RAF too? You rather prove my point that RAF officers would turn their noses up at them - what no aircon?
And for bloody good reason too. YOU try flying in a small, enclosed cockpit in ambient temps of 50 deg C plus, whilst wearing a flak jacket, etc. Your flippant comment on this suggests to me than you have not.

Have you ever considered that ground troops go out on two-three week foot patrols, working their butts off round the clock, all without air con?
That is because they are acclimatised to the conditions, not just by virtue of the nature of their duties, but they are normally given an acclimatisation period BEFORE starting their stint. Aircrew, in OP theatres, never get the chance to acclimatise - either before or during, since their duties usually involve rapid and frequent changes in their local environmental temperature. And squaddies don't tend to spend hours sitting around in glass-topped vehicles in direct sunlight.

And you don't need highly trained and expensive dedicated aircrew to fly them - as I said you could train somebody in 100 hours ab-initio to fly one if really pressed.
My my, you REALLY have a grip on what military aviation is about, don't you? Hell, you should've put a bid in for MFTS - you could have saved MoD a fortune!

Your responses here make it clear you have never served in any of the current theatres - I'm guessing you're not even military. WHich goes a long way to explaining why you persist in thinking this plastic POS is such a good idea.....