PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 18:43
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 448 Likes on 237 Posts
Is that less responsible than flying in IMC with no certain knowledge of other traffic?
No, because that's exactly the situation I'm trying to avoid!

Gpn01,

You appear to have changed back to the VMC option; I was replying to your comments regarding gliding in IMC! How do glider pilots keep to the right of line features when orbitting in cloud? VMC see and avoid is a different situation altogether.

Rod1,

If you referred to me, although I don't fly a "spamcan" as you indelicately put it, I'm not "having a go" at anyone. We are all entitled to use the open skies, for what ever purpose we wish, and long may it remain so. I began my flying as as a glider pilot, albeit for a short time over 37 years ago.

However, as someone flying for my living, much of it necessarily in Class G airspace, I am always concerned about my own safety, the safety of my passengers and the safety of all others. I use all the facilities and equipment available to me to keep everyone safe but if I can't see a glider, or know of its presence by the other means available, I can't avoid, and it worries me hugely. This situation should concern us all and not simply result in this regrettable "Us v them" situation which usually occurs when ever we try to discuss it; obviously a mid-air collision never involves just one aircraft!

Encountering what is is in effect a "stealth" aircraft, in IMC, is something that should simply not be allowed to occur in this day and age.

Yes, we should all make ourselves aware of the true risks we take and do our best to minimise them. Having been flying for a living for all my adult life, the initial eighteen years as a military pilot, the last fourteen as a civvy one, I do have some idea of what I'm involved with.

It saddens me greatly that some pilots apparently don't care enough to make a simple one minute radio conversation to an ATC unit to help minimise the risk for their own safety and that of other airspace users. Or are perhaps not taught the "big picture" and how they fit into it and the risks they could create for others. The point that might be slipping by some is that an ATC unit will give whatever assistance it can, to anyone in contact. The simple call I proposed (Position, altitude, flight conditions) would benefit ALL airspace users, glider pilots included.

I would ask for FLARM if I thought it practical to do so. However, I fly an IFR public transport helicopter, which has to comply with a CAA regulated equipment list. The possibilities for fitting extra equipment such as FLARM are actually far more involved than for a glider or for a LAA aircraft; it's definitely NOT a buy, fit in a cigarette lighter socket and use option!

Because (at least AFAIK) FLARM has never been fitted to an IFR helicopter, someone would have to pay for the design, trials and certification costs for such an installation, prior to purchase, which would no doubt run into many tens of thousands of pounds, if not hundreds of thousands. It's unrealistic to expect any individual owner to bear these costs so in practice we would have to wait for mandatory action by the CAA. We all know what a debacle we already have over the proposal for mandatory transponders.