PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shipboard Rolling Vertical Landing - The saviour of Dave-B?
Old 28th Aug 2008, 17:28
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engines,

Many thanks for the gen' - one point though, and I don't mean to contradict you, but isn't even the CVF a lot smaller than a Nimitz class, and they still park with the tails over the side ( better for the crew getting out than nose-over-side I suppose ! ).

As the F-35B is a lot larger than a Harrier, I imagine reverse thrust viffing midair is not considered necessary even for approach, and parking will be done by a 'tractor' as is traditional ?

Cue a project for a new super deck tug - probably a more profitable contract than the aircraft!

While I'm all for advance, wouldn't a Harrier -even allowing for lost knowledge & manufacturing capability ( all relatively available given the will ) -with AMRAAM and something like an S-3 / Osprey / Orion with buddy tanking & AEW have been a lot cheaper, therefore in a perfect world more of them, and more Type 45 destroyers ( we all know the answer to that one...).

Too late now, in the words of Basil Fawlty after banging head on table " No, it's not a dream, we're stuck with it !"

Last edited by Double Zero; 29th Aug 2008 at 19:06.