PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:53
gpn01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Rod1's point that everybody knows the rules is actually part of the problem....many pilots seem to be completely unaware of the risks that theyr'e exposing themselves to in 'Open' airspace. They need to remember that an ATC unit provides only an information SERVICE outside of CONTROLLED airspace.

Part of the risk of operating in UNCONTROLLED airspace is that it is exactly that - ATC can't guarantee that they know about every aircraft in the area (but all credit to them for trying, and being pretty clear about the service they're providing, e.g. "No KNOWN contacts in the area....").

If you choose to fly in uncontrolled airspace then you have to accept that there is a risk element involved. Yes, procedures will help (e.g. keeping to the right of ground features) but they do not guarantee your safety. By all means chat away to whatever ground unit you feel will be able to best help you (but it's not 100% guaranteed). Likewise pilots should be encouraged to adopt any technology that helps to improve EVERYONE's safety. Part of the risk with the Mode-S/TMZ proposal is that it could channel non-transponding aircraft into an even smaller piece of sky, thereby INCREASING the risk of collision.

We can all hypothesise about how the press would spin a story to increase the sensasionalisation of an event. Indeed you only need to look at the recent Ryanair depressurisation story - don't see any newspapers with headline banners saying "passenger admits that he ignored the safety briefing, put the oxygen mask on his child's face instead of his own and didn't tug the mask to activate the oxygen"....No, because "Oxygen fails on Ryanair flight as passenger rescues his Son" makes far more meaty headlines for the Public. I'm therefore keen that we ensure that everyone is aware of the risks involved and, where appropriate, we mitigate against them - whether that be through processes, controls or VIABLE technology adoption. I also want to make sure that we protect aviation for everybody (and on this forum, particularly for the GA community, whether that be power, helicopter, glider, microlight or hang glider).