PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF buys spy planes to monitor enemies from the sky
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:29
L J R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:

I'd hazard a guess that a ground-patrol could use that video more effectively in real-time if they can coordinate with an operator directly overhead who has his eyes scanning the ground as well as the video-images, rather than trying to coordinate with an operator in Arizona who can only see the video-images.

I thought that Arizona (Read NEVADA),crews and mission cells flying MQ-1/9 see video and talk directly to the lads in the field (who are seeing the SAME picture - ROVER) - AND also talk to the OPs Dept of the soldiers Headquarters (who are also seeing the pictures) AND can talk to London, Doha, Washington, Langley, (insert any Agency) - AND they too see the video......

Why do all these external agencies need to see the video? - they do not neceissarily, but when they need to , the curent infrastructure copes, or so a friend in the community tells me (where is my Omega!)..

....regardless, I also thought that the UAV flown remotely DOES talk to the soldier just like ANY other aircraft does... and I also thought that the air vehicles DO have 'Normal' radios (AND Qualified Service Pilots).