PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bringing a car to AUH
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:06
Jet II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know anyone who has bothered but found this on a local Dubai website - I doubt that Ab-Dab will be much different.

-----------------------------------

We used Allied International (Allied Pickfords in Dubai) for our last household shipment and were happy with the service at both ends, so decided to use them again for the car shipment. We opted to have the car shipped by container, rather than the considerably cheaper roll-on, roll-off method. Their quote stated it was for shipping from their office/warehouse in Toronto to their warehouse in Dubai (but in reality they were willing to deliver it anywhere in Dubai) and included customs clearance (but not the duty).

The car was delivered to Allied International’s office just outside Toronto on June 19 with the following paperwork:

·Copy of Canadian ownership document, showing chassis engine number, make, model, year and color

·Passport copy

·Copy of UAE residence visa

·Verification of vehicle’s value (for insurance purposes)

In our case we used the Canadian online “Black Book” value – used by most car dealers in Canada as we had already owned the car for a couple of years and the purchase invoice was therefore out-of-date.

We removed the licence plates so we could turn them in for a refund of our motor vehicle tax and I was surprised no one asked us why we were doing so. You would think the government would want to strike the VIN (vehicle identification number) from its records when a car left the country to avoid it being used on a stolen vehicle. Similarly no one asked for verification that there were no liens on the car (ie no outstanding car loan). These are a couple of interesting loopholes, if you ask me.

Six weeks later, on August 2, we got a call from Allied Pickfords in Dubai that the car had arrived (one week later than estimated). We were told it would take approximately one week for them to clear it through customs and were asked to fax/email Allied the following documents:

·Copy of Canadian ownership document, showing chassis engine number, make, model, year and color

·Passport copy

·Most recent passport entry stamp

·A signed form (provided by Allied) appointing them our agent in dealing with customs

I then had to arrange insurance for the car, which I did through AXA in Dubai via fax/email. In addition to completing their application form I had to supply:

·Copy of UAE driving licence

·Proof of no claims bonus from our Canadian insurer (an email was sufficient)

They did not require any proof of value – they just accepted our valuation.

The car cleared customs 6 days later and we had it delivered to AAA in Al Quoz (right behind the Tasjeel Car Registration Centre).

On the morning of the delivery I went to Allied’s office to pay them the duty which they had already paid on our behalf. We were pleasantly surprised to find they had assessed the car’s value at only 2/3 the value we used for insurance. Duty was 5% plus 60 Dhs for the vehicle clearance certificate.

We decided to pay AAA to register it for us to save time and hassles, although obviously this is something we could have done ourselves. The paperwork they needed to register it was:

·Passport copy

·Copy of UAE driving licence

·Original Insurance certificate

.Original Customs vehicle clearance certificate (which I had collected from Allied)

·Our actual residence address (not PO Box)

The car was registered later that same day and we collected it from AAA the following morning.

Costs were as follows:

Allied (shipping) 14,500 Dhs ($4,400 Cdn)
Allied (insurance) 2,000 Dhs ($605 Cdn)
Customs (duty) 2,000 Dhs
Customs (certificate) 60 Dhs
Registration 445 Dhs
AAA 300 Dhs