PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Varsity
Thread: Vickers Varsity
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 12:08
aviate1138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew in one, from Benson [1960], the Varsity was from Watton ILS Calibration Flight as Queens Flight was complaining about the ILS having a dip in the glideslope which coincided with a small hill north of the runway. As I was on duty in the glideslope 'shed' I was hauled on board by an irate Queen's Flight Sqdn Ldr to show me the error of my ways! We did 3 varying approaches and each time the beam \dipped' at the hillock. In the 'Shed' the meter needles were exactly where they should be.

Anyway Plessey or Marconi [I think] sent bods down with every electronic gizmo to find why, what, where was causing the problem. I seem to recall it turned out to be a huge lump of magnetized ironstone in the farmers hillocky field. Anyway that is what I was told. Being near the Thames Benson had some foggy days and I don't blame the pilots for not trusting the ILS when viz was minimal. The ILS was updated shortly afterwards.

I loved the Varsity, all throbs and oily airframe smells and to lie in a Cotswold field, sunny and cloudless sky and hear the drone of another Varsity on a Nav exercise? trundling east/westwards at I guess about 8,000 ft and fading gently away is as nostalgic to me as the sight/sound of a distant steam train's smoke/whistle puffing through the green Hampshire Countryside.

I later got 20+ hours in the LH Seat in a B-25J Mitchell [in California/Oregon/Washington] and often wondered if the Varsity was similar to fly. ISTR the B-25 was noisier!