PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - clean install XP
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 11:37
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 281 Likes on 179 Posts
If you have more than one physical disk and you want a really clean install, use the BIOS to disable all but the disk you are going to install onto.

Windows installer is really dumb, doesn't give you any say in where the OS puts boot files, and if it finds a second, formatted disk, will put some on it.

So disable or disconnect extra disks before installing. Re-enable them after the install and configure as necessary in Disk Manager, if required.

Mac, I have found XP to be superior in almost every way to 2000, except where CPU and memory are constrained. I wouldn't put XP on a sub 500 MHz / 256MB RAM PC, but that spec. would cope OK with 2K.

Win 2K was issued to a deadline (2K), while XP was not. IMHO, XP is what 2K was meant to be, but they ran out of time.

Win2K had a lifespan of 2 years before next OS release, and is now at SP4, with an "unofficial" SP5 released.

Win XP had a lifespan of 5 years before next OS release and only 3 SPs.

I genuinely believe that XP is a more complete, more stable and better OS than 2K. Of course I am not comparing either to Linux or Mac OS!! Different battleground!!

SD