PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 09:42
lorel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question. Was Limoges the nearest airport, or the nearest Ryanair base?
It seems a bit fishy that another Ryanair plane with a medical emergency on-board yesterday 27th Aug ...
BBC NEWS | UK | Leaking mushroom soup halts plane
landed at "Frankfurt Hahn", another place where Ryanair have negotiated landing fees?
It must be somewhat advantageous to land at an airport where you have a base, but for a medical emergeny surely it should be the nearest airport with facilities to treat the emergency. Having a wife with severe allergies, I know the importantance of rapid treatment.
Or is this just complete coincidence?
Hi,
First of all Limoges is not a ryanair base but solely a destination.
Secondly, with the ryanair network you're all the time very close to a destination or even a base.
In my opinion, if time permits off course, it's preferential to divert to a destination or a base for several reasons.
As you can imagine when an emergency arises at your cruise level, let's say FL370 you still need time to get down. From FL370 this would take approximately 100nm. So any destination within this range could be suitable.
Besides that, some preparation needs to be done to conduct the approach. So an airport the crew is familiar with would actually expedite the whole process.
Maybe Hahn or Limoges were not the closest ones but they could have been the better ones for a safe and expeditious landing.

Lorel