PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 07:33
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi2parking

no, we don't disable both TR's if only one is broken. we are however very careful when we use just ONE.

taxi2parking, consider, if we have an engine failure prior to V1 on an airplane with all thrust reversers working, and we elect to deploy thrust reversers to aid us in stopping, only ONE will be providing reverse thrust, as the other engine is already dead. to be sure, we get some drag by deploying even a dead engine reverser.

so one is better than none. but we are limited by controlability in the amount of reverse thrust used.

ALSO...AIRBUBBA, thanks for telling us about that bizare continued takeoff in the face of a blaring warning horn...yikes.

There is a terrible trend in modern airline training to just teach enough about a plane to get a pilot to pass a checkride. In depth knowledge of your plane seems to be an antiquated concept. And yes, its all about money.

I voiced a theory regarding ground shift, thinking the plane was airborne, etc many,many pages ago. I still think it is right (except for that brief phony cvr bit).

I encourage all pilots to make sure they practice safe flying and never trust a warning system to save them. Get paranoid if you have to, be "MR. MONK" and be compulsive and check your flaps a couple of times before takeoff (landing too)