PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - APNG / Virgin Blue Alliance
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 01:05
DingoMuddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APNG / Virgin Blue Alliance

Very interesting. Should cause some worries on the hill!
Article from today's Post Courier.
Virgin Blue coming
VIRGIN Blue is coming to Papua New Guinea.
Other overseas airline operators like Sky World have been encouraged to come and operate in the commercially to help PNG with competitive prices domestically and internationally.
Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Don Polye made the announcement in an interview with the Post-Courier late yesterday afternoon.
Mr Polye was asked to confirm speculations that two major international airlines were due in the country to compete with PNG’s flag carrier Air Niugini.
He confirmed that Virgin Blue and Airlines PNG were going into a partnership arrangement or joint venture and that an official notice has been given to both airlines especially Virgin Blue to “come into PNG airspace”.
From humble beginnings, launching as the first sustainable low fare airline in Australia, Virgin Blue has grown to be recognised the as an innovator and leader in the global aviation industry.
Since its launch on August 31, 2000, Virgin Blue has evolved from a start-up entrepreneurial business to become what it calls Australia’s leading airline for service, on-time performance and value for money, as well as being one of the world’s most profitable airline groups incorporating Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue (Aust), Pacific Blue (NZ), Polynesian Blue and V Australia. “Virgin Blue comes in partnership with Airlines PNG to operate domestic and internationally in most probably two months time as they still have to negotiate landing fees and charges … it really depends on their partnership arrangements, but I encourage operators to come and fly in our country and I am telling them to come into PNG and operate in our airspace, I am telling them PNG is a good country to do business,” Mr Polye said yesterday.
“I’ll be happy to expand the market and all for the interest of tourism in the country.
“They (Virgin Blue) have made an application already and the application is with our Civil Aviation Authority to make sure they follow procedures and comply with the due process. They will then be given an air operating certificate … as soon as we approve the applications they can then come in and operate fully.
“THE Government has agreed to allow other overseas airlines to come in partnership with other airlines in the country to provide competitive airfare prices. The Government is encouraging other airlines to come and do businesses in our country, especially commercial operators, facilitated by making our airspace open already. The Government will be looking at other public private partnership.
“We believe that transport is the key to development in this country. The introduction of these commercial operators from outside will really boost our tourism industry and it will be really good for our tourism industry. It has always been my interest to bring in another competitor into PNG airspace. I am looking out and have written to various airlines as well to come and operate whether as a joint venture, like Air Niugini does with Qantas Airlines. Others like Airlines PNG in partnership with Virgin Blue and so forth. Our officers have been engaged in talks with other airlines, and we encourage them to come on board and operate in our airspace. They will have to comply with our Civil Aviation Authority’s normal procedures but yes, once all procedures and negotiations are complete then we can start to see Virgin Blue operate in our country.