PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Mid-air collision at Moorabbin
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2008, 23:50
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
SMS 777

It is all about risk mitigation and I think Plank Bender has a valid point.

I am not saying that the Instructor concerned made any error at all - I have sent over 50 studes solo and I still pace and fidget until the student returns. I can only imagine the anguish of the stude's instructor now - and I am sure he wouldn't have sent him solo unless 100% satisfied that all was right.

But let us discuss 777's point.

Many many years ago Col Pay approved me to send students solo and I think his only advice was never send them first solo within 30 mins of last light or within 30 mins of fixed reserve.

This is the most simple form of risk mitigation stragetgy, and it works. Every flying school I have worked for has had some simple criteria for student solo.

It is human nature to discount the risk involved in things we all do every day - my mate the Ag pilot tells me he'd never fly IFR in a single... and I tell him I'd never fly at 6' AGL at night. We each assess the level of risk in our own operations as acceptable.

After sending god-only knows how many students solo in a busy environment maybe it's easier to discount the risk of a slightly-busier-than-normal stretch.

Last edited by Horatio Leafblower; 28th Aug 2008 at 00:02.