PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2008, 23:23
Biker Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vulcan Flights Lost??

Only just read this thread, been a little busy trying to keep a Vulcan flying. As usual vickyv shows the ill-informed views and inaccurracy for which she?/ he is so well known.

If the incident referred to was the failed Cowes sortie, I was on "the long lead" that very hectic day and I can confirm that there were plenty of spare fuses, all properly GRN numbered, the fault was correctly diagnosed and rectified and all procedures were followed meticulously.

It was not caused by incorrect groundcrew practice or inexperience as inferred by vicky v and daddyflm. The FRC and AP procedures were fully adherred to.

Here's the real gen'

During pre-start up the GPU went off line as a result of an internal failure of the GPU itself. The aircraft was reset as per FRC's by the crew before attempting a GPU reconnection. This failed, the GPU would not engage and to save time in waiting for a replacement GPU, the AAPP was started by the AEO as per FRC's. It started well, but would not go on line as it had no apparent output. The fault was traced quickly, by myself and Kev Penfold (both Vulcan Electrical Course graduates), to the triple feeder system of 3 Blue phase fuses connecting the AAPP alternator o/p to the Synchbus. When these were replaced the AAPP went on line with no problems. However, time was tight and the Captain decided to abort the sortie, as is his right.

I strongly resent any inferrence that myself or Kev were in any way to blame for the lose of the flight and the Captain has assurred me that he has no such beliefs or concern. Both Kev and myself have since successfully despatched 558 to flight whilst undergoing Crew Chief training under Taff Stone's supervision and I would say that we have more operating experience now than any other available technician, including those from MA, who have not kept current as they have not worked on the aircraft for nearly a year.

To vickyv I would offer some advice, as you have never been where we are and have no idea what is involved at the workface, don't try to tell those in the trenches how to fight the battle.

Instead of spreading inaccurracies and rumour ask those of us who are actually doing the job and have some actual formal knowledge and experience to draw on.

p.s All work was recorded on the aircraft F700 and signed off by a Marshall Aerospace approved technician.