PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dan-Air Viscounts
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2008, 15:53
Mooncrest

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good to see the Dan-Air Viscounts are fondly remembered, even though they weren't technically Dan_Air aircraft. Interesting to see that Dan-Air were prepared to have the aircraft painted in their own livery (in most cases anyway) although they were on lease. Corporate identity must have been important to them.

I remember being quite excited seeing one of them at LBA for the first time, probably in 1979 or 1980 and wondering what had happened to the 748s that were usually to be seen doing the Channel Island routes. Shame the two 830 series had relatively short careers in the UK. I don't suppose the move to Zimbabwe increased their life expectancy. I may be wrong but I think I've seen pictures of an 800-series in a hybrid BMA/Dan-Air livery at LBA. Possibly 'ZR given its BMA operation at some time.

Stampe, you have the privilege of having flown in one of my favourites, the ex-BA 800s. I have distant but clear memories of the bright yellow Northeast machines at LBA before BA got their hands on them and painted them in dull red, white and blue. Still, it was nice to see them reappear at LBA in '82 when BAF used them for Jersey flights. Several on a weekend for Lewis's Travel, I believe. Did you enjoy flying the Viscount ? I've spoken to one or two pilots, young and old, who loved it and even preferred it to more modern props.