PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many circuits before solo?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2008, 14:47
digital.poet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I will contribute something a little more productive to the thread

Wait right there, I am just going to check my log book.... Ok, I am back...

I soloed after 25 hours total dual, 14 of those hours in the circuit doing approx 8 circuits an hour. This seems to be a little in excess of average and I will certainly be in excess of average by the time I take the skills test. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, although if I am honest it did bother me a little bit before I went solo.

I am not a 'natural' in the air. I still get fairly nervous in turbulent air and sometimes I still need a little prompting to increase the bank in turns.

In any given activity, some people are naturals and most people can list a few things that they are naturally talented at. For some people on here aviation would be on that list, but it wouldn't be on mine. I pass all my written exams with > 90% because I have a talent for theory (navigation has been the exception, but that exam has a large practical element), but in practical applications I have to push myself all the time, *nothing* comes naturally. It's ok though, I *will* qualify and I *will* be proud of myself when I do. Just because I will never play at Wimbledon does not mean I can't enjoy a game of tennis.

The PC crowd will probably get annoyed with me, as I am suggesting that somebody who takes longer to solo has less natural ability, but while there are exceptions (in cases where circumstance, like weather work against you), this probably is the case, its just nothing to be ashamed of.

How good you are at something = Natural talent x Effort x Training which means that with the exception of the elite (who will have high numbers in all three), I have the capability of being just as good as anyone else, I will just need to put in a little more effort, and undergo a little more training to get there.

Also, in respect of the military situation of the 10 hour maximum solo time, it is important to remember that not only was there the option of picking the highest natural ability candidates, but also the candidates were volunteering to take huge personal risk far beyond those of early solo flight, (and to Cliff and others like him, how ever many times you are thanked for that, it is not enough! Thank you!). Guaranteed personal safety was not a property of aviation warfare, I am certain that there have been military pilots who soloed in < 10 hours that would not have done so on a private course. The risk acceptance level is significantly different.

Just my 2 cents.