PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2008, 11:32
overthewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overthewing, what more do you want? Your own personal flight attendant and one also for each of your fellow passengers? The safety briefing is there to be listened to.
Goodness, no. More FAs would simply compound the problem. I think I could probably train FAs myself, having listened to several thousand safety briefings where the wording was identical, and the only possible difference is the position of the exits. I note that fact automatically, even if it appears that I'm on the same plane that I travelled outwards on, earlier in the day - it might be the same type, with slightly different exit configurations, for all I know. (I occasionally note that the FA doing the briefing is less confident of the position of the exits than I am myself, presumably because he/she has been on several types recently and has lost immediate recollection of the current configuration.)

I'm not aware that the oxygen mask advice is any different on any type or airline. Am I wrong in that?

What I WOULD like is a chance to actually don an oxygen mask and get a feel for how hard I have to tug, what the oxygen flow feels like, etc.

For example: you're supposed to fit your own mask before attending to children, yes? This involves fitting the straps and tightening them. But in the recent Qantas depressurisation, one passenger told how the elastic straps on his mask had perished, so that the mask kept falling off as he tried to attend to his child. In a panic situation, this is not something I'd like to have to think how to deal with - what do you do - take a deep breath and hold it while attending to the child? Tie a quick knot in the perished elastic? Given time to think about it, I'm sure I could work out how to handle that, but most passengers don't have that luxury.

Perhaps what some enterprising airline could do is to choose a random passenger on each trip, and have them don the lifevest, have his oxygen mask drop, and have him clamber to his nearest exit. Now, if passengers knew that they might be put on the spot like that, I bet everyone would pay attention to the briefing.

I'm not entirely sure I'm joking about that. It would work, and it would certainly brighten the cabin crews' lives.