PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots and ATC both at fault in TCAS incident
Old 27th Aug 2008, 09:01
LowVizRTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCAS RA & A/Ps

Fair enough, but I can't see what erroneous RAs have to do with the method of following them. I hope you are not suggesting that pilots assess whether the RA is valid and then follow it if they believe it is?
Capn Bloggs - No, nothing of the sort. I always carried out the RA commands, false or otherwise, as there is no way to know if you are just not seeing the other aircraft or it is simply a false echo. I am merely pointing out that TCAS is man made and therefore fallible.

Additionally, I have no idea on the TCAS 7 failure or false RA rates. I am not against automation per sea, just against hooking the A/P up to TCAS RAs. You're entitled to your own opinion which is opposite to mine. That's fine. I remain with others on this thread that the solution is more TCAS training in recurrent Simulator sessions and not A/Ps. From your comments, I don't expect you to agree, and that's fine as well. Best regards. LowVizRTO