PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Hole approaches without visual glide slope guidance
Old 27th Aug 2008, 05:08
OpsNormal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Merlins Magic wrote:

Curious as to why you wouldn't take Rwy 07 with a Vasis even if it has 15 knots of X-wind instead of 11 and have no gs guidance.
Being rather familiar (albeit in the now distant past) with night ops at TNK I would tend to feel that an advantage of landing on RWY 11 would be the lights of the town being clearly visible just past the upwind threshold which adds significant depth perception to the approach picture on final for that RWY. I would feel that PLovett is somewhat similarly conversant with that airport - with the added advantage of recency.

Centaurus, hardly thread drift. Please keep them coming!

Many years ago now I once was just departing YBAS NVFR one evening when as turning to set heading a small bat flew through the prop arc (probably dazzled by the landing light) and desintergrated across the entirety of my my single-engined aircraft windscreen. Reacting way too quickly to both the noise and the mess I hooked hard into a turn back toward the RWY complex. Of course it is rather dark out there to the south of Alice and because of my initial actions I ended-up with a bad case of the leans. I was surprised just how quickly these can develop and was lucky that I was able to gain visual reference quickly (through the goop) to return and land. That was a real eye-opener for me at least.

Regards,

OpsN.

Last edited by OpsNormal; 27th Aug 2008 at 05:19.