PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Mid-air collision at Moorabbin
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2008, 04:32
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From news.com
A PLANE has exploded on the garage of a home after it clipped another aircraft in mid-air.

The pilot died in the Melbourne crash, which sent witnesses screaming and prompted the lockdown of a nearby school.

A police spokeswoman said it was believed two light aircraft clipped each other as they flew over the beachside suburb of Cheltenham.

One plane - identified by Moorabbin Airport manager Phil McConnell as a Piper Warrior with two people on board - landed safely nearby.

The other - said to be Cessna 150 - is believed to have crashed into the garage of a house on Lorna Street, killing the one person on board.

A Metropolitan Fire Brigade spokeswoman said there was an explosion when the plane hit the garage.

Victoria Police said the pilot of the plane was killed in the crash.

A police spokeswoman said the plane might have crashed into a shed or garage, but officers at the scene said it did not hit the house.

Around 30 firefighters were at the scene.

Eyewitness Alexandra Mikhman told the Bayside Leader she was stunned to see the plane plunge to earth.

''I was with my baby our for a walk I heard this noise and I thought some kids were flying a toy plane. Then I saw it drop into the garage and it burst into flames," she said.

''I was in shock. It was so scary. I had my baby. I started screaming."

The Herald Sun said the pilots of both planes were members of the Royal Victorian Areoclub.

The police spokeswoman said all students at a primary school at the end of the road were safe and well.

Cheltenham East Primary School was locked down and police were in attendance.

It was not immediately known if anyone was in the house when the plane crashed.
RIP