PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't put it in the Tech Log!
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2008, 01:06
rwm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like to have a good working relationship with my crews. If they don't trust me, or respect me, then I try to fix that situation. Safety begins with comunication.

I have on occasion had to work with the odd "Blue Blood", and this is the worst kind of human around. They are arrogant, and think that they are the only people who know about aircraft. This kind of person is the kind who writes up a snag and runs off to the bar. When the snag is read, it does not relate to anything specific, and the fault is not found, and either a great deal of time is wasted, or a minor snag is fixed, and the intended snag is not dealt with.

As to what gets writen up, I prefer to have the crew write up any snag they find, regardless of how minor it is. The only time I ever deviate from this practice, is if it will ground the aircraft for a cosmetic item. I will discuss with the crew the best way to write up the snag, so as it gives the possibility to make a temporary repair, or put it in a defect log if possible.

This gives the crew faith that you will deal with the issues they have, and you also have faith that they will discuss with you before they write things up and run to the bar.

At the end of the day, we are there to be safe, and make money. Can't do that if the aircraft is broken, or falls out of the sky.