PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best single for a long flight?
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2008, 23:06
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just pilot-in-the-making (over couple years) but I do fancy both FW and RW on top of 'recreational flying' aka non-powered. I'm with BackPacker.

I admired some gliders on http://www.pipistrel.si and there's that light sport 'tour glider' ie two seater with around 20-25 glide ratio (can't remember, it's all there), basically, Cessna's new SkyCatcher category but I believe it's superior to C162.

I've seen the same (to me) airframe marketed in the US pilot mags as Remos G3. I've also read somewhere it's actually German-build, so Pipistrel may be somehow related. Either way, with Rotax 912 or 912S, avgas/mogas, almost unbeatable fuel consumption for the capabilities, etc etc.
In theory you could do with handful refuelling stops on 6000nm It's late to calculate km to nm and back.

Right, it's not pressurised, obviously, but it's basically glider. Can either be trike or TW model.

The website mentions RTW or serious XC (cross-continent ) flying. Think one of the pilot was/is Czech.

I'm surely yet to befriend pressurised piston twins or TPs, but for the flying I'd love to do RTW, this would be it. Plus on a budget as well.

barit1, that machine looks damn mean. Haven't seen that one before. Must have been interesting to fly that one in it's hey-day times (if one's in the mil)