PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2008, 21:53
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Is it possible to fit an error free static source to microlight type aircraft?

If not the mode "C" is of no value.”

Yes it is. I have an MCR01 home built (the group a version but the micro would be identical in this case). Despite my kit being entirely self installed it works well (BK76a + encoder). The problem with modern 3X micros is not a technical one it is the regulations. UK micros have a max empty weight. The popular designs are built to come very very close to this limit. The CT for example is 1lb under the max. This makes it almost impossible to install such kit. When the CAA was pushing Mode S for all we pointed this out to stunned disbelief. The CAA types initially thought it would be easy to get their own organisation to increase the limit, but this was ruled out completely. This area of flying is the fastest growing and all 2000 ish of them fly around at normal GA levels, at typical GA speeds – VFR day only.

If you add in the LAA aircraft, the gliders etc then there are more aircraft flying at “normal GA levels” without transponders than with. It often amuses me when people complain that pilots do not turn on transponders that they do not have!!

What we need to do to improve separation is to improve lookout. In the gliding world, if you cannot demonstrate a good lookout to your instructor, all the time, you will not be allowed to fly solo. Some people (particularly ex royal observer types) were trained to be very good at lookout. We need to actively teach lookout to PPL’s and test the lookout of existing pilots. This should take priority over any “black box” solution, unless the solution is going to detect non-transponder aircraft.

Rod1