PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2008, 13:56
bunkrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the sounds of things the crew did a very professional job in extremely taxing circumstances.

After a fair many years as cabin crew I believe the realities of emergencies tend to be glossed over by the airline industry and pax in turn encouraged by the promises of a nice shiny plane and a couple of litres of Johhnie Walker's finest don't dwell on the 'what if's'.

Intrestingly research shows that airline pesonnel, those in the military and emergency services are statistically more likely to survive disaster because their training gives them an alternative survival 'script'. (Bypassing the disbelief and deliberation phase that holds other back.)

If a passenger knows that there is a flow indicator that turns green when 02 is flowing; that there is a way of manually dropping the masks; that crew do not make announcements during the emergency decent then panic subsides and already an alternative 'script' is emerging.

However I don't belive the airlines will be advertising the more detailed emergency prodecures any time soon nor would many pax take any heed if they did. Denial, the "It won't happen to me" factor is far more seductive a mindset than the "yes it could and what would I do"

In my view its up to the individual to take responsibility and be as prepared as possible. Stop complaining, do some research, watch the briefing, and improve your chances.