PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2008, 13:40
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a frequent commuter on Ryanair as well as an airline pilot of long standing. I have seen numerous safety briefings with them. Out of courtesy, I always pay attention. I am sometimes one of the minority who actually do. It is all there in the briefing! Watch it carefully and LISTEN!

I practice loss of pressurisation drills periodically. There are normally on most types pre-recorded announcements that start when the masks are released manually or automatically- simultaneously switching seat belt signs on as well. The pilots are very very heavily committed to bringing the plane down and talking to ATC and trying to communicate with a large mask on. Talking to the passengers on the PA would cause alarm with the heavy breathing noises and peculiar sound effects. This has to wait until level flight is regained. The cabin crew have to try and survive themselves by grabbing any available mask and holding on, because they know the plane is going to do some peculiar things. Only when level flight is regained and an announcement comes from the pilots can they move and carry out checking the passengers. This is established procedure and is not changeable, despite 'better' ideas from all and sundry.

Ryanair coped well with this one. I detect a bit of 'I'm Pen Hadow- don't you know who I am? Why did the pilot say nothing to me and where are the groundstaff to look after me?' in the radio report I heard. Well done again- some people were hurt because of the emergency. Meanwhile, let's find out what caused the problem- that is all that matters now.

The level of expectation for fares down to 5 euros seems incredible. Limoges is a small Ryanair destination with presumably just a handling agent- Hadow expected boatloads of Ryanair staff running around at his whim! Someone said he went to Eton? Maybe it shows in arrogance!