PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2008, 12:42
itsresidualmate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Oxy mask use

In answer to some questions about mask use;

All 3 or 4 masks in a PSU are connected to the oxygen candle by long supply hoses. Each mask is fitted with a lanyard (thin string to the layman!) connected to a single small pin that is inserted through the firing pin of the candle. When the masks drop their weight is supported only by the lanyards, the supply hoses being much longer. The action of pulling any mask pulls on the lanyard which in turn pulls out the small pin from the firing handle which starts the candle burning. In addition to the candle cylinder getting hot, operation is usually accompanied by a loud drone as the candle burns.

Force required to pull this pin out is very low, last time I fitted the rubber jungle back in I blew one even though I was being extra careful! I had a sniff of the one I deployed; no noticeable odours and as I recall a very low flow rate, no blast of gas as some may think.No worries about pulling too hard, pull as hard as you want, all you're doing is withdrawing a small pin which once pulled just dangles below the mask.