PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2008, 12:21
Beausoleil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a constant complaint when the oxy masks are deployed. Among other issues that come up repeatedly :

- The masks were ill-maintained and dusty; pax mistaking the french chalk used to pack the masks to avoid chafing, which clouds the cabin on deployment.

- The oxy supply didn't work; pax expecting the bag to inflate under normal usage, whereas it only inflates under abnormal usage.

- The flow was inadequate; in fact the limited flow is quite adequate, it's not air you are breathing, it's oxygen, so much less is needed.

- Oxy not there straight away; you do have to pull it, as explaned in every pre-flight safety briefing I have ever heard.

Well done to the crew, I'm sure most passengers are grateful for a job well done. I think anyone who thinks about it will realise why there is no briefing until the emergency has been "dealt with".

I take the point about listening to the safety briefing. As a slightly nervous passenger, I've listened to the briefing on every flight I've ever been on. As I understand it, if the cabin loses pressure oxygen masks will fall, you pull one towards you and put it on. If you have to help someone, put yours on first. Don't worry that the bag has not inflated, this doesn't mean oxygen is not flowing.

However, perhaps there is a valid point being made here that has occurred to me occasionally before. I have no idea how to tell if the oxygen actually is flowing short of not passing out. The warning about the bag suggests to me that people have been known to pull them too hard trying to get the bag to inflate - ie I understand they are warning me not to pull it too hard because I might break my oxygen supply. Rather than just telling people that the bag doesn't have to inflate if they've pulled the mask hard enough, wouldn't it make sense to tell people how to know that they have pulled it hard enough. Would you feel a flow of "air" from the mask, for instance.

Listening to the guy on the radio this morning (Today programme) I wanted to know what made him sure the oxygen wasn't flowing - wouldn't he have lost consciousness if it hadn't been? - he didn't say that happened.

Apologies for anything in the above that is the product of my ignorance and for intruding in your forum. I enjoy reading this site - it is one of the things that has made me a much less anxious passenger.