PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2008, 12:09
D O Guerrero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact is that a large number of pax don't listen to safety briefings. Even when they do listen, many don't really think through their options if something were to go wrong - eg where's my nearest door, how easily can I get there etc etc... So we have to deal with that.
That said, the fact of the matter is that the aircraft got on the ground safely with no casualties. I'm sure that were I in the situation as a passenger I would love a hug and a cup of tea but the fact of the matter is that the overriding priority of the flight crew is to maintain the safety of the aircraft. Who knows what they may have been having to deal with on the flightdeck... but they still managed to make an announcement on levelling off, which is the point at which I would have thought it appropriate.
I find it very hard to believe that the oxygen wasn't working. If memory serves a rapid decompression at 35,000' (guestimated alt) gives a TUC of 20secs and a slow decompression 45secs. Given that the pax weren't complaining of having become unconscious and dying during the incident, I'm guessing the oxygen was working.
On another point, the Today programme really is going rapidly downhill. Had a Daily Mail Journo stepped in for Ed for a couple of minutes? I don't say this often - but I couldn't agree more with MOL's comments.

Last edited by D O Guerrero; 26th Aug 2008 at 12:26.