PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Philippine Air Lines A320 again in Runway excursion
Old 26th Aug 2008, 10:19
St. Ex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we were on landing roll runway 28 when tower advised us to make 180 and expedite vacating and taxi back to the ramp due aircraft orbiting on finals 28. so upon checking my speed (20kts and deccelerating) i decided to commence with the 180 turn since the rwy width was in accordance to the airbus standard of 30mtrs min. and 40 degrees before the completion of turn the nose wheel fell of the edge of the rwy.

Hi Ian,

I admire your courage and humility to admit your mistake and face the consequences. Let's all be grateful that nobody got hurt.

Having said that, I hope you don't mind me asking about this experience in order to make the most out of the situation and turn the outcome into something positive. If we know exactly what happened, what the conditions were and what you were thinking, I am hoping all those who read this thread might learn something and apply it in the way we fly.

In particular, I would like to ask you at what groundspeed exactly did you commence the turn? The FCTM states "...establish a 25o divergence from the runway axis (using the ND or PFD) with a maximum ground speed of 10 kts.". You only mentioned "20 knots and decelerating" but did not say exactly what speed.

Thanks in advance for shedding some light regarding this matter.